Thursday, August 2, 2012

My life, or so I thought

I just dont know what to think about anything anymore, and everything I worked for maybe flying out the window and I hate that. It all started basically when Lois caught Timmyfan not having her dogs on a leash. There's a camera on the 3rd floor lobby that we were not aware of. Lois threatened to give Timmyfan 30 days notice or she's outta here. TF just like gave up everything and had her last straw with the manager. She became more determined than ever to leave here and go back to the coast. But this is not really what started this, but it certainly escalated to the extreme to where TF had nothing left to do but move back home. Before I even started attending school here, I was so excited about coming here and I was really excited about being accepted too. I talked it over with Timmyfan and she seemed to be all for it....THEN. I tried looking for a place to live for all of us, but they either dont allow pets or they have student restrictions. But when it came close to time for the finals and for me to go home, I had to find something in a hurry. Thats how we ended up here in subsidized housing. At first it was just gonna be me and Odessa. I should have kept it at that and never should have mentioned this to TF at all. But the only reason I even brought Timmyfan in the first place, THE ONLY REASON, was because we were being pressured and pushed into an actual date to move out by the housing authority back home. They kept threatening to cut off our housing privaleges if we didnt give them a date. They even didnt give TF enough time to find a new place in Ocean Shores. It was either take her with me, or she lives on the street. Now that I look back on it, I should have left her on the street, at least she would stay on the coast. I'm sure Ma would have come to get her and helped her find a new place. I never expected TF to like Montana, its not her thing. And I never once forced her to like it here either. She complains about the climate here, and she often compares to what we had in Ocean Shores that they dont have here. Its mainly just little things, but the climate is her biggest threat. TF tried to make it work here, but the longer she stayed, the more depressed she became. I sympathized with her, I really do. Thats why we need to get TF back to the coast NOW!!!!!!! But there's more to this story that has me asking "what the .....?" I am really excited about starting school, a new program, and some courses that I cant wait to start. I spent all year getting it set up and to finally claim myself as a resident. Now that its getting very close to school starting, TF and Karen are trying to talk me out of it. they are more worried that if I graduate, I would not find be able to find work as a mapmaker and that I will have a mass of student loan bills to pay for and no job to pay them. The thing is that I dont want just a job, I want a career, something I can be proud of. Just once in my life, I want a step ahead and not remain at the bottom of the pool. Now that TF has talked to Ma and Dad, they want me to move back home. OMG, I am not as enthusiastic as Timmyfan to move back. She would be the only one to get any pleasure out of this. She wants to live on the coast. I like to live in places where they have everything and I love the mountains. All this is just so sudden to me and I have not done anything to get myself out. I also have the feeling that I might not get to stay on the waiting list for housing in Missoula, which is what I really want. TRM, I gotta write a blog about our trip to Missoula and tell everyone how that went. Might explain that last sentence. Been meaning to do that you know. I dont know what to say or what to do. I am like totally confused I dont know who I am anymore. I worked hard to gain residency here and it took me a year to get to this status. Because of that, I really dont wanna leave Montana. Just because TF hates it here, doesnt mean that I have to. I mean we both dont like the same things, doesnt mean we dont like each other. But I am an adult and free to do whatever I want to. Most people my age dont have parents around telling them what to do. Plus I'm single, its not like I'm married and tied down with a family. If TF wants to move back to the coast, hey, I'm all for it. I have never objected to that. I only wish her the best of luck and gain more happiness there and then some. That is all I really wanted to do for TF.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you identified the only problem I have with your courses is that you may not be able to find a job in that field. You'll be going through all that hard work, time, and money and it will not pay off in the end, unless you are willing to move to the east coast. We moved here thinking we would have more job opportunities open to us, and there hasn't been that. We moved here thinking we would get better medical care, and there hasn't been that, otherwise you would not have that swollen foot anymore or your bad teeth. We are no better off here than we were in Ocean Shores, and we lived in a climate we were more used to.

    I am not asking you to give up your dream, I'm just asking you to look more on the practical side. There are no jobs for mapmakers, and most of them are looking for people much younger than you. They won't tell you that, but that's what they are looking for. You need a job that you can get anywhere, whether you are here, the coast or in Missoula. I'm sorry about the mapmaker dream, but we cannot all have what we want. I just wish you had weighed this out more thoroughly before coming to this final decision. But let me sum up in practical terms what I am trying to tell you here:

    You want to study mapmaking...Are there jobs for that in every city and town? No.

    You want to go to school to gain a career in mapmaking...Do you have the money to pay back the student loans? No.

    You want a career in mapmaking...Do you have the promise of a career in this industry here in Montana (where you want to stay)? No. Thus you may not be able to pay back those student loans, and thus will have wasted 4 years of schooling AND residency.

    You are 43, you don't really have that kind of time anymore. You were better off when you wanted to go for a nursing degree. At least I know you could have gotten a career in that anywhere you would have lived. It's competitive, but at least there are plenty of jobs in that field.

    ReplyDelete